Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 89

My Dad is at my sister's place in California for Christmas, so at least some of the family was able to get together for the holiday. My sister and I made contact over the web using Skype. When Dad tried to use it he couldn't understand me. So we experemented. When contacting Dad, he sits at the computer and talks and I type on the Skype chat. It's a bit on the surreal side of life. I type as fast as I can so the conversation doesn't bog down too much, but the Skype delay is now added to by the typing factor. It'll work for us, and that's all that matters. Skype is a wonderful tool. If I ever meet the inventor I'll buy him a beer, and I'll have one with him. Everybody here uses it. Those people here with kids and spouses and family back home love it. I know I'm getting old when a 'golly-gee-whiz' like talking over the internet, with video and chat, seems new and almost magical to me. I wish I had this years ago. It's a great way to stay in contact.
On the non-technical side of the house, I played piano and organ in church today. I found what's going to get me through this deployment; performing music. There are other musicians here and one of them wants to start a rock/blues band, just for fun. He wants to include me, and I hope he does. I just wish there was a way to bring my vibraphone here, and get it back safely. Good thing they're WAY too expensive for that. We picked up a new Major to our Brigade last week. He's from Atlanta and he is a former Army Band Bandmaster of a National Guard Army Band. He said he was the highest ranking officer of the oldest National Guard Army Band in the US. It's nice to have other musicans with whom I can visit about things other than work. I'm reading books. I wanted to buy myself an Amazon Kindle for Christmas, but they're 11 to 13 weeks backlogged, so I'll put my name on the list and hope to see if I can one any sooner than that. Other than that, it's work as usual. I've had more than one, and one emphatic, request for pictures. I'll start taking pictures soon and begin posting them to the blog. I'm also experimenting with a Google tool and post more there, too. That is, if I can figure it out. I'll post directions when I'm sure I've got it working. On the bright side, we don't do our own laundry. We have washers and dryers close by, but they're supposed to be for emergencies only. In an effort to save water we use the post laundry facilities. We can take up to 20 items at a time and get them cleaned. It takes about a day and a half to come back all clean (well, sort of) and folded. So, I don't cook for myself, I don't do my own laundry, I don't pay utilities, I don't have a car payment, I don't have a mortgage payment, I don't buy gas, and the best part is, I don't pay taxes!! The downside is I have to clean my room, take out the garbage, and be away from my friends and family just to make a new life. It's all good. Still, being this far away from home and being here, I have no regrets. It is what it is.

1 comment:

DNN said...

Glad to hear all is well, considering. Playing organ in church WILL keep you sane. Good way to keep the chops up. Sounds as if its like living at home all over again: no payments, no cooking, someone does your laundry, all you have to do is go to work and clean your room.

Lets try and hook up on Skype sometime. Not sure how we do that but I would love to see and hear from you.