Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 86

Merry Christmas!! On this day of happiness I almost hate to cloud it with a note of sour feelings, but I need to get something off my chest that's been bothering me. I know this may not be a big deal to some, but it has gotten me so riled up I feel as if I'll burst if I don't get it off my chest. I hate the word Hooah. The Army personnel use it as an affirmation for everything good but I'm here to say its use has gotten WAY out of hand. If somebody is feeling good, they're hooah; if the food is good, it's hooah; if the truck is running smoothly, it's hooah; if the weather is good, it's hooah; if the shower water is warm, it's hooah; if you slept well, it was hooah; if the microwave popcorn tastes good, it's hooah; if your uniform is clean, it's hooah; if you're in a good mood, it's hooah. Enough already. If you're interested, Wikipedia has a definition of the word. My view of the word is that it's kind of like cursing. When a person doesn't possess enough brain power to form a coherent sentence, they revert to a standby, be it a curse or the word hooah. I know it's a bit early for a New Year's resolution, but here is mine; I will do my best to never ever again infinity plus one, use the word hooah, except for writing it in this blog. I'm not kidding, I heard, from more than one person today, "Merry Christmas, hooah." I even heard one person use the hooah in lieu of the Ho's for the greeting, and it came out as, "Merry Christmas, hooah, hooah, hooah." As a good NCO I made an on-the-spot correction and gave the offending soldier a butt stroke to the groin. (Well, maybe in my mind, but it still made me feel good, and after all, it is all about me.)

1 comment:

ktjhawk said...

hehehehe...this made me laugh (at your annoyance of course). I'm glad the groin strike was only in your brain, as even the army probably frowns on that. Good luck on your resolution...and not physically retaliating sometime in the next 10 months when you hear that word (and from your explanation, it'll be heard A LOT). :-)