Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 99

The last of the two-digit days. Where, oh where has all the time gone, oh, where, oh where can it be? With the nights cut short and the days cut long, oh where, oh where can I be? For those of you reading this who remember James Coler, I had an interesting moment today; he called me. He's also in Iraq, but rather than being on the front end of his tour, he's about ready to depart for lands much greener. He is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps and finishing his third tour in Iraq. He is doing well, but in that Southern California way. He said that one reoccuring problem they have is that so many Marines bulk up to be Army strong, that when it gets hot, they can't take the heat. So, in an effort to assist his fellow Marines, he teaches a yoga class. He says he doesn't wear the spandex, but I wonder. I'm trying to think of something witty to say, but I think that last sentence is as witty as I can be. I tried something new today. In an effort to eat healthier I tried the local cottage cheese. This stuff is not like the "Land 'O Lakes" cottage cheese I get back home. It's a bit difficult to describe. The taste is identical, but the texture kind of takes you by surprise. The thicker parts are much smaller and almost a little bit crunchy. I know I'm supposed to try new and exciting things, but let's just say I left most of it on my plate. Tomorrow is my Cultural Awareness Briefing of the Ziggurat of Ur. They used to call it a tour, but most people felt they could walk off and do their own "ugly American" thing, so they changed the wording in hopes people will remain within the group and with the tour guide, I mean cultural awareness briefing guide. I bought extra batteries for my camera, and I promise to take more than a handful of pictures. But since it's a digital camera, and all of the images are stored in either a camera or computer, can you actually have handfuls of pictures any more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hugh, just went through and read all the updates i've missed out on while touring with the dixie band. have you ever eaten at windy's in bowman? delicious pizza! it was easily the most fun AT that i've had with the band. i completely understand how so many people stay in longer than their 20.
the only bad part was when i got the 11th (maybe 12th?) hepatitis shot of my life. i'm not sure how i've gotten the 2nd shot of the series 3 times now over the past couple of "medical days." ridiculous. i can only imagine the new levels of sillyness that you are invariably experiencing!
but, back to my orange juice, and then off to a friend's house.
peace!