Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 118

I understand the reasoning. I understand the policy. I even understand the necessity. But that doesn't make it any easier. I mean, really, would it do that much harm if they were to stop doing it? I'm not talking about doing it all the time, just every so often, such as holidays; you know, like my birthday. Don't you agree? (well, obviously not about my birthday being a holiday, as it already is one, in Iceland; and in Mountain, ND) What do you think? Oh, that's right. I keep on forgetting you're not here. Every meal we eat is on plastic plates and we use plastic silverware. Every meal. Every day. Day in and day out. (just so you know, this way they're not using water to wash dishes. All of our water is trucked in daily, and rationed) I think the first time I pick up real silverware when I get back home I'll actually stop moving and stare at it, wondering what it is. Except of course when we get the Iraqi version of Taco Bell or Burger King. Then it's all wrapped in paper, just like back home. Doesn't taste like back home, but at least the packaging is the same. Some years ago I got tired of washing dishes and decided to use paper and plastic dinnerware. Never again. It's real, or nothing. Speaking of real or nothing, thank goodness you're not here to try the milk. Ice cream; not bad. Milk in juicebox-type containers; not so good. About the only way I can tolerate it is to put the skim milk on really sugary cereal, and then eat the cereal, but leave the rest of the milk in the bottom of the bowl; the plastic bowl, that is.

1 comment:

ktjhawk said...

bummer that it took this experience to drive you to it...but I'm thrilled I won't be dealing with plastic and paperware when you return!!!