Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 115

A person doesn't realize how much of their lives are driven by commercials. In my room I don't have a TV, and don't want one, and the few channels available at the dining facility don't have commercials. But this posting is not so much about the over-commercialization of our lives in the States, but more of a, "Hmmm". So, there I was, needing more than my daily allowance of caffine, and I decided to indulge in an Iraqi Coke-A-Cola. Knowing the effects Coke-A-Cola has on me, I prepared myself for the sugar and caffine rush that I was sure soon to follow. Where's the rush? Where's the shakes? Where's the insane moments of a sugar blackout? Not to be found in a can of Iraqi coke, that's for sure. Oh, it is cold, and it looks and smells the same, but it's just not the same. It is kind of neat that the cans all open with the same pull tab banned in the US so many years ago. And it's kind of neat that they all have English on one side and Arabic on the other. But it makes me wonder what is it that's being put in the sodas in the States that isn't being put in the sodas over here. I miss that rush from the can of Mountain Dew. Where's the justice? Where's the sugar? Where's the caffine? Oh, where, oh where can it be? But to get back to my first few sentences; when I was framing these comments about Iraqi Coke, the first thing to pop into my head was the song, "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony,..." We are all of product of our training, and apparently I've been trained well. I guess it's back to my quiet room, sans TV, and my bottle of clear water. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

No comments: