Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 180

Back in Iraq, making another tax-free dollar a day. It turns out that Iraq does NOT use Daylight Savings Time, so I am to remain at an eight hour difference between here and Central Time in the States. I went to all that trouble not to learn to convert to the eight hour difference and now I have to. Of course, last week while in Germany, we were two hours difference from Iraq, which was confusing, because I'd look at the clock, add two hours, then take back nine hours and then add an hour to make it right with the central time zone. But even that was problematic as every time I looked at the face of a clock I added nine hours and then took back an hour, I was taking back the hour by mentally moving the hour hand back an hour in an anti-clickwise direction. (Well, not really using my thoughts to move to the hand itself. It was more of a move-it-with-my-minds-eye sort of mental thing) However that wasn't taking back the hour, just making it a nine hour difference again. So I never really did think of it as a nine hour difference with a one hour adjustment to make it eight hours, but in fact it was a nine hour difference with a one hour non-adjustment to make it nine hours. But, now that we're not going on daylight savings time it'll always be an eight hour difference, so I have to learn how to look at the clock and do the math all differently again. Add eight hours and change the 'm'; either to 'a' or 'p'. I think I've got it.