Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 177 - 26 March

I was released from the hospital this morning. Check out at 0445, breakfast at 0530, bus ride to Ramstien Air Force Base, 20 minutes of comfort riding with a German driver who spoke halting English but loved to use it. I checked in at the counter to be told there were to flights to southern Iraq or Kuwait today, but there was a flight tomorrow at 1:30 in the afternoon. What to do with me until then? Turns out, the Army has a plan. I was picked up in a van and driven to R.O.D, don’t know what it stands for, and given a bed. Oh, what lovely accommodations we have here. I am in a warehouse. Not kidding. There are a total of 400 beds here, most of them used storage for our stuff, with about 60 of us in total sleeping here. Bare concrete floors and room dividers to keep the men and women separated. There are free Heater meals and MRE’s and some snacks just outside of the TV room. If you have ever been inside the USPFO warehouse in Bismarck you’ll get an idea of the size of this place. My flight tomorrow is supposed to take me to Kuwait where I’ll have to wait, again, for a flight back into Iraq. Thank goodness they’re paying me.

It is now Sunday the 29th and I arrived safely back in Tallil yesterday.

No comments: