Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 302

I don't have a TV in my room, by choice, so I don't see the news. We get the Stars and Stripes a week or so late, but I get my news from Google News. I see a headline, click a link, and then check the BBC news online to see what's really happening. Today, tanning beds were listed as the one of the top three causes of cancer to humans, along with arsenic and smoking. Tanning beds. Do you suppose they'll be groups of people with nothing better to do, trying to put lables on them? Another story caught my eye today. It's unsafe to text while driving. Wow. There's a shocker. So I did a little research. They make jamming devices for cell phones. Why not install one in each car with the switch hooked up the airbags and the shift lever? If the car is in park or if the airbag deploys, the jammer shuts off. Problem solved. Oh no, we have to leave it to the idiots who won't quit talking on their phones in the movie theater to make the right decision? We have people here, driving at 20 MPH who talk on their phones. What is so important that you can't wait the three minutes it takes to get back to your office and talk to somebody in person? How many people do I see in the supermarket talking to somebody at home while they're shopping? Have we forgotten how to make shopping lists? Ban cell phones forever! Ok, I feel better now.

1 comment:

Kelsy said...

You can get to the Stars and Stripes online. I know I'll be reading it in Kosovo. It's a great paper. Here's the url:
http://epaper.stripes.com/