Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 135

It's been an interesting week here at COB Adder. Last week, while playing in the championship game between the NCO's and Officers, in a touch football tournament, our Company Commander, CPT Ed Bailey, after making the game winning catch in the endzone, landed wrong and broke his leg. After a couple of days here at the hospital he was to be flown to Germany. As they loaded him into a plane, the type that has the ramp in the back, he was twice dropped. His scream was heard at the terminal, two hundred meters away, and the planes engines were running. After both drops, they decided to fly him anyway. As they entered the plane, those carrying him caught his leg on a strap holding luggage in place. He returned to the hospital here at Adder for a few more days and finally flew out over the weekend. Our interm commander is in place, so we in supply have the honor, if not the thrill, of performing a 100% inventory with the new boss. Joy. Rapture. Add to that the fact that every day that we are here we find equipment that our predecessors did not track in any way. So, on top of taking care of soldiers, which we love to do anyway, it is, after all, our job, we're doing the job left undone by the Active Duty. I've heard stories of other soldiers who have previously deployed and, to a man, they tell me of how bored they were, of how much free time they had, of how they counted the minutes until they got to go home. Where are those days for Hughie? Just one would suffice. I constantly look forward to a day where I'll have nothing to do. Why do I get the feeling that it'll happen after I get back to North Dakota? For those of you who know Army supply, I just got the paperwork this afternoon so I can start my 10th FLIPL since Christmas; we're straightening up so we can do the change of command inventory beginning next week; I'm working on planning the company party; I just ordered the February birthday cake; we have a CSDP in April; we have to start the paperwork about the 15th of May so we can get home; I spent this afternoon in a class on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assualt; and somewhere in there I have a job I have to do. Oh, to be bored to tears. A cool thing happened recently. A guy, well, actually an Air Force Airman, so 'guy' is the best term I can use for him, came through the office over the weekend with a bomb sniffing dog. It was so much fun to play with a dog again. Oh, there are dogs running around here, but they're more of the scrounge and flee type of dog than the sit and let be petted dogs.

1 comment:

DNN said...

some pix in your email for you