Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 264

Due to the rules of security, there are things which I cannot discuss here, and rightly so. There are also things which I should not discuss here, and rightly so. I would however like to tell you the story of a person I know. He possesses exceptional good looks, especially since he shaved his head. He has been known to bring to almost any conservation a certain amount of wit, tempered with just the right amount of sarcasm. His insights into the daily behavior of those around him astounds many. His level-headedness and ability to see past the veil is a model for many. And to top it all off, his modesty is not false. I strive to be more like him every day. But I digress. Let me tell you a tale of this humble, folksy man, whose only goal in life is the betterment of others.
You know, I got nothin'. Writing the opening to this used all of the adjectives and adverbs, and they pushed all other thoughts right out of my head. I do have an interesting tale about someone not quite as interesting; me. Last week while on COB Adder for a show, my good friend Craig Brenden, a past member of the 188th Army Band, extended an invitation, at the request of his commander, to join the 34th ID Band when my tour here ends. After a few emotionally filled hours of contemplation, I decided it was the best thing for me, and I accepted. There is lots of paperwork to do, and it is not a for-sure thing yet, but I am hopeful. It would add only about 4-1/2 months to my tour. The money will be good. I would get to the next level of the GI Bill, adding 10% more to my alotment. After the knee surgery, I'll be back in North Dakota in March-ish time frame, just in time to quit my job and spend the summer bumming around the States with my new camper. Maybe I should follow the historical Route 66? Maybe I should have a Philly Steak Sandwich in Philadelphia? How about deep dish pizza in Chicago? How about the New Orleans Jazz Festival in May? How about following Jimmy Buffet around the country for the summer? When is the Burning Man weekend? How about watching a baseball game in every outdoor Major League park in the country, in person and not on TV? Does anybody know; do they offer tours of the Grain Belt Beer plant? Too bad I hate seafood, or I'd use the euphemism "the world is my oyster", but I do, so I won't.

No comments: