Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 370

I just read the last post to see where I left off. Where to begin. Well, first off, I'm home. Back in Grand Forks, safe and sound. September in Iraq was a bit hurried; sorry for no posts, but getting out of there was priority one. We flew out of Iraq on Tuesday the 22nd of September, spent almost two days in Kuwait, and then flew to Germany, had a two-hour layover in Germany, then flew to Shannon, Ireland for another two-hour layover, then on to Bangor, Maine for another two-hour layover, and finally to an airfield in Wisconsin. We spent a few days in Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin doing our demobilization process. I flew to Bismarck on Tuesday the 29th of September and was met by friends and family. What a long, strange trip it was. The means do justify the end; the bills are paid and I have the GI Bill, but I hope to never go through this again. Only time will tell. My very good friends Don and Sandy Nagle rented a house for me and moved my stuff into it; I just need to find everything. I know my first priority should have been to find underware and a coat (I think North Dakota moved further north in my absence; it's cold here.) However, the first thing I did after getting here was to hook up the stereo and big-screen TV. I still haven't found any underware.

2 comments:

K B said...

Welcome home Huey! Thanks so much for blogging your experience. We have kept you (and continue to keep you) in our prayers. Now, go get yourself some long underwear, because it's going to be a long time before it gets warmer. K Brenden

Jeff Seabloom said...

Great to have you home! Look forward to seeing you sometime and hearing all the stories. Welcome back!